Note: you are currently viewing my old website. My new website is here.

Zombie FAIL

Toothless zombie

So, there I was, minding my own business, when this cheeky little zombie sneaked up from behind and attached itself to my arm. Luckily, this cute little member of the undead had no front teeth, so I escaped with a slight gumming.

In not totally unrelated news, I have been playing around with MOC, using it to submit tracks to Libre.fm. Now, as a long time user of Last.fm, I love the fact that people are attempting to build a free/libre alternative, but I have to say, Libre.fm does currently remind me of my recent experience with the above toothless zombie.

I want to be careful of not being too critical of Libre.fm, after all it is still alpha software, but it seems to have been an age since the service was first announced and I was hoping it might possess some teeth by now. Unfortunately, it does not and I find it to be lacking any features which might make it useful.

Having said that, it is possible to bridge your submitted tracks from Libre.fm to Last.fm, so I guess I am not losing out by playing around with it. Also, I have been looking at the project in some depth and it is good to see the development roadmap is full of exciting plans — I am sure the team will improve the service soon.

I have also cloned the git repository and taken a quick look at the GNU FM code. I am not sure there is much I can contribute myself, but I may have a play at setting up a GNUkebox instance for testing.

One feature I would really like to see would be a ‘similar artists’ recommendation system, such as seen on Last.fm. Personally, I think this is one of Last.fm’s strongest features and I find it to be a fantastic tool for finding new music. In fact, just last night, I used it to find The Slew, who seem to produce a sublime mix of rock and turntablism. Which reminds me, I have some new music to relax with.

Tagged with: lastfm, librefm, moc, zombies

6 responses to “Zombie FAIL”

• merelyjim merelyjim on,
    Mar 5, 2011 (about 3 years ago)

Oh, sure. The Zombies are just cute and fuzzy without their teeth… Until one day when you get a papercut, and then it’s World War Z all over again. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z] Try relaxing to music when the Zombie Hordes devour you and the rest of the UK!

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Mar 5, 2011 (about 3 years ago)

@merelyjim, I am fully prepared for the zombie apocalypse, I just wish it would start already! :)

• Will Elliott (rstrcogburn) Will Elliott (rstrcogburn) on,
    Mar 6, 2011 (about 3 years ago)

Quirky little post matey. Is MOC returning to the #! universe in a backpack full of beer!! ?? (remenising about the 9.04 janice days on minimal spin, gosh i hated the aim client though, it always got discarded for bitlbee) Cheers papanominal!!

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Mar 6, 2011 (about 3 years ago)

@Will, it may well do. I have tried to use several of the more well-known GUI music managers since Janice, but none have been as reliable as MOC. I cannot imagine it would be popular with the majority of users, but then #! has never been about picking popular applications, at least not for the sake of being popular. Anyhow, there is no reason why not, especially as MOC just tends to work. :)

• Mike Mike on,
    Mar 6, 2011 (about 3 years ago)

Libre.fm already has some similar artists support, however it only works for artists that have been tagged (meaning primarily only free artists), you can see it working here for example: http://alpha.libre.fm/artist/paniq

There’s also similar artist radio streams and recommended artist radio streams which make use of this functionality (you’ll need to love some tagged tracks before personal recommendations will start appearing).

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Mar 6, 2011 (about 3 years ago)

@Mike, thank you for letting me know, I was unaware that it has the feature already. If I am totally honest, my music collection is comprised of mainly non-free artists, so I am not sure how much use it will be in my case, but I will gladly have a play with it.