Note: you are currently viewing my old website. My new website is here.

New job, CodeIgniter, WordPress & Unity

Real life has been keeping me pretty busy of late and I have not posted to my blog as much as I would have liked. In fact, I only managed one post last month, which might not have been so bad, but the post only contained a single sentence.

**sad face**

So, why have I been so busy? Well, mainly because I have taken a new position as a PHP developer.

**happy face**

I am now working for small local business, developing some interesting projects with great potential. There are just three developers in the office and it feels great to be working within a small team. I am really enjoying it and loving the challenge.

As part of my new position, I have been working with CodeIgniter, a rather nifty PHP framework. Now, I have always steered well clear of frameworks for my own projects, but I have to admit that CodeIgniter is really quite nice. It has some fantastic libraries and helpers, yet manages to stay quite lean and lightweight. At some point in the future, I may take a look at rewriting some of my own little projects to take advantage of some of its features.

WordPress is something else that has been taking up a fair amount of my time, which is quite surprising as I kind of lost interest in it a good few years ago. Anyhow, I wanted to take another look at it in more depth as I have been thinking about using it for a potential project; so, I took a look, and I am still looking; interestingly, or not, I get the impression that once you strip away much of the crufty (subjective) features/functions/widgets etc, it is pretty much the same old WordPress that it used to be. I wonder why I have perceived it to be anything else?

Finally, there is Ubuntu and Unity. Now, I installed Ubuntu Natty with Unity a good few weeks ago, and surprisingly, it is still on my system. I thought I might have been slightly premature in declaring my love for Unity last month, but as it turns out, the more I use it, the more I like it. It really is a pleasure. Sure, there are a few little bugs here and there, but for the most part, it just works. And I’ll be honest, after a good few years of wrangling with putting CrunchBang together, a vanilla Ubuntu install with Unity comes as a bit of a relief — please, do not flame me for saying that.

Talking of CrunchBang, I am currently on hiatus from the project. I do feel kind of guilty for not being able to spend time working on it, but sometimes, real life and other interests have to take priority.

Oh, wait second, I nearly forgot to mention my conversion from Bazaar to Git. Yes I have seen the light, finally!

Tagged with: bazaar, codeigniter, crunchbang linux, git, php, ubuntu, unity, work

19 responses to “New job, CodeIgniter, WordPress & Unity”

• Fredrik Fredrik on,
    Jul 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Hope you dont take a permanent leave from crunchbang bro. But i feel you, also been struggling with life and work lately. Been thinking bout setting up some server and maybe som unofficial/Swedish crunchbang site nd maybe some torrents and maybe a direct download. Got 100/10 atm.but im able to upgrade to 100/100. My way of giving back to the community

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Jul 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@Fredrik, thanks for the support, I know some people have missed the direct downloads, so any help you can offer would be appreciated. I guess the forums would be the best place to spread the word. :)

• Hristo Bozhkov Hristo Bozhkov on,
    Jul 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Congratulations on your new job then :) I have to say I am a little bit sad to see you in doubt about the future of the Crunchbang project, but for the time being we can appreciate even more your decision to base it off Debian Stable, as we could potentially use Statler for a year or two more without security concerns. PS: I played around with Unity for a week or so, and I have to share your view that it is shaping to be something good and usable.

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Jul 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@Hristo, you make a good point about Statler and Debian Stable. By building from stable sources, it definitely leaves the project in a good state. Hopefully I will be able to return to it at some point. :)

• omns omns on,
    Jul 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I can’t make up my mind about Unity. I had to take it off a work machine yesterday because the current kernel doesn’t play nice with my partiular Atheros card. An on-going bug since 10:10 which is every frustrating. My natural option was to return to my Squeeze/Xfce setup but it is bearing a strong resemblance to Unity to look at http://omnsproject.org/?p=1179.

Yesterday I posted that my sojourn to Unity is over but today I’m missing it again and looking forward to grabbing my other machine at work and using it. I fear there may be no hope ;)

Like you my work life has had some new twists and I’ve become even busier of late (if that is possible). I’m also having a little CrunchBang break at the moment but those pesky little screenshot threads keep grabbing my attention :)

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Jul 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@omns, I fear you could be correct about there being no hope. Once Unity has you, there is no escaping! :D

Also, thank you for you continued support on forums with the screenshot threads, I know myself and many others really appreciate your efforts. :)

• omns omns on,
    Jul 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

hmm, I wonder if there is a kernel somewhere that might resolve my wireless card bug. Good grief you may be right. There is no escape…

• Will Elliott Will Elliott on,
    Jul 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Congrats Philip. Real happy for ya.

• safetycopy safetycopy on,
    Jul 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Glad to hear things are going well! The job sounds nice - small teams and interesting jobs ftw :)

Funny how things you previously dismissed can turn up again later and grab you in a different way, isn’t it?! I’ve had the same thing happen and often find it’s the things I was most vocal about disliking that come back to haunt me and make me look foolish :D

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Jul 5, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@safetycopy, you are not wrong about:

it’s the things I was most vocal about disliking that come back to haunt me

In our defence, we are only human, well, mostly. :D

• richs-lxh richs-lxh on,
    Jul 5, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Congrats on the new job, CodeIgniter looks interesting.

Unity was starting to grow on me as I chose it as desktop for my home media center, unfortunately Ubuntu is un-growing on me and i’m probably going to go for Mint instead.

A hiatus is a good thing every now and then, especially with Linux/Web-based projects.

Have a break, you deserve it!

• Brandon Brandon on,
    Jul 6, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I really like the Unity (2d/3d)-launcher. I can’t wait until some ports that over to Debian so I can use it on a rolling release distro.

• jpope jpope on,
    Jul 11, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Congrats on the new job. I really need to do the same as I absolutely bored with my current one. Of course, I’ve been working for the same company for 11 years now so boredom is to be expected. ;)

I for one am not worried about your current hiatus from #! but, don’t spend too much time with WordPress. Whird will get jealous. :P

j/k Best of luck with the new position.

• nathan w nathan w on,
    Jul 13, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

congrats on the new job! there’s a great quote that “happiness is getting to work hard for long hours doing anything you find worth doing”, and it sounds like the new job will do that for you :)

and good call on switching to git! :P

• muzieca muzieca on,
    Jul 15, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Good luck on your new job, corenomical. I’m happy for you too. But i do really hope that you won’t give up on Crunchbang, because i love it so much. I believe there is so many others Crunchbang users would feel the same way as i do. Congratulation on your new job, and once again i wish all the best for you and your career, and of course for your family too. Cheers.

• PJ Brunet PJ Brunet on,
    Jul 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

So tonight I installed Crunchbang for the first time after looking around at all the other distros out there. I’m coming from Fedora and Gnome 3 is just terrible—not what I need, even in “fallback” mode—which is what forced me to look around at alternatives. So far I’m very impressed, better than expected. Not just visually but the speed of it. I have 8 tabs open in Chrome right now and I’m between 1% and 4% CPU.

I’m also a visual artist and find the minimal interface endearing. I really dig the defaults. Your screenshot thread in the forum totally drew me in, lots of talent in there—I will probably sign up in the next few days. I’m a sucker for screenshots and you have the best screenshots! And the website is excellent—I’m not sure how I lived this long without terminator. Sad to hear you don’t have much time to work on this distro. But I understand, I’m also a PHP developer building websites to pay the bills!

But Crunchbang, it’s like you read my mind—the Openbox interface, the included software, I love it. It seems to have everything I need to get real work done—Gedit, Gnumeric, Chrome. I installed Crunchbang on some free space I had left on a little old 1 Gig USB stick and here I am in Chrome surfing the web on my Lenovo. I can’t believe how fast it’s running booted off this old USB stick!

Anyway, nice blog. I will subscribe to your RSS feed as soon as I get my old bookmarks moved over to my new (Crunchbang) desktop. (I just ordered an Acer AX3910.)

• stephenchow stephenchow on,
    Nov 10, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Hi there! Just a few things. Congrats for your job (a bit late, maybe). And recently I installed #! on usb to make a portable system and I really like it. It rocks! Thank you very much for your work on #! I really appreciate it. I will sign on forum when I have the time. Greetings from Spain.

• Timothy Matias Timothy Matias on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@Philip I will not flame you, but just express my curiosity at to why you, the creator of one of the greatest minimalist Linux distros, would praise a piece of bloat like Unity. Despite its utter simplicity of interface, Unity manages to hog hardware resources even more than KDE 4, GNOME 3, or Windows 7— at least, that’s what my ASUS Eee netbook tells me. In fact, out of the above 4 mentioned, Unity is the only one that is literally impossible to use, due to the fact that even with only one application (Firefox) open, it somehow manages to bring my system to a dead stop, so that even the mouse cursor and keyboard keys fail to respond 95% of the time. Ubuntu Unity may have been originally designed as a netbook UI, but it fails epically on resource management when used on a netbook.

As a minimalist lover, who was drawn to Crunchbang for how amazingly fast is ran on even my older hardware, I appeal to you to put your love of Unity to the test by sampling it on older and more hardware-limited systems, like (to state the obvious) a netbook. I am sure you will agree that at least from a minimalist standpoint, Unity is nothing short of useless.

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@Timothy, no argument from me. I like Unity for what it is, but I fully understand its limitations, especially on low-end hardware :)