Note: you are currently viewing my old website. My new website is here.

Updated CrunchBang Statler images

Yesterday, I made available some updated CrunchBang Statler images. I have made a good number of changes to Statler, probably more than I should have, but the changes were considered and needed to be made in order to progress.

In many ways, the new images are not really about additional features, but more about what has been removed and/or cleaned up (although there are a few new features to look forward to).

I guess the main thing to have been removed/retired is the Xfce version. I love Xfce and I thought about this long and hard, but I really want to concentrate on making CrunchBang give the best possible out-of-the-box Openbox experience possible. Besides, there are plenty of brilliant Xfce based distributions available, and if you know what you are doing, installing Xfce under Debian is really not too difficult.

GDM is the other big loser, being replaced by SLiM. This is something which should probably have happened a long time ago. Traditionally, I have always used GDM and for the most part, it just worked, but in comparison to SLiM, it is a bit of a beast. Also, while I was content with using the legacy GDM packages, I do not think that GDM3 is something I would like to see included with CrunchBang, and so the move to SLiM seemed obvious. I know that other display/login managers are available, but SLiM seems to do the job nicely at the moment. Moving to SLiM has also meant that I needed to make some changes to CrunchBang’s custom logout/shutdown/reboot script, which now relies on HAL. This may, or may not prove problematic at some point in the future, but for Squeeze based systems, it should be fine.

Plymouth, the graphical boot loader, has also gone from the default install. The decision to remove it was really a personal preference. I apologise to any bling lovers, but personally, I believe that graphical boot loaders take away more than they give. Also, CrunchBang is not really an exercise in branding and so removing a flashing logo is not a problem at all.

Other changes include:

• Openbox 3.5 — the latest and greatest release. You might want to check the changelog on the Openbox website as a number of significant changes have been made.

• Iceweasel/Firefox 8 replaces Chromium 9 — CrunchBang seems to switch back-and-forth between default browsers, probably like a lot of users do. I do not think this is problem, but merely reflects the state of browser development and availability at the time. Having said that Firefox seems to be getting better with each release and the mozilla.debian.net team are doing a fantastic job of keeping up with the new release schedule. So, I have mirrored the mozilla.debian.net repository and will keep it in sync. Also, for any Google Chrome and/or Opera users, there is a new Openbox pipemenu for installing these browsers with minimal effort, and a menu item for setting the system’s default x-www-browser.

• Geany replaces gedit — I spend much of my day in my editor and until a few months ago that editor had always been gedit. Then someone suggested I take a look at Geany, so I did and it won me over. Geany is a fantastic editor, is highly configurable, has lots of great plugins and maybe just as importantly, is DE independent.

• Gigolo and Thunar for managing connections to remote filesystems — in the past, some reviewers have mentioned the fact that there has not been an easy way to mount and browse remote filesystems through the default file manager. I have addressed this by including Gigolo and configuring it to work out-of-the-box with Thunar. It is now super simple to connect to remote filesystems via SSH, Samba etc.

• Improved D-I preseeding — all packages related to the LiveCD are now completely purged during the installation process, resulting in a much cleaner system.

• Linux kernel 2.6.39 replaces 2.6.32 — this is the kernel from the Debian backports repository. Debian backports are enabled by default.

• LibreOffice replaces OpenOffice.org — actually, CrunchBang ships with AbiWord and Gnumeric, but many people choose to install a more feature rich office suite via the CrunchBang post installation script. The script has been changed to suggest LibreOffice.

• New repository locations — as part of my ongoing work to move domains from crunchbanglinux.org to crunchbang.org, the repositories for these builds have been moved. Also, a new website is being constructed, but is very much a work in progress. Apologies if this causes any inconvenience or confusion to anyone. I will write more about this at some point in the future.

• Many more minor and cosmetic changes.

A note to any existing Statler users: if you are happy with your current installation, I would suggest keeping it. However, if you are interested in using the new images, I would recommend backing up your data and performing a clean install. Ultimately, for reasons which I hope are obvious after reading this post, a clean install will take less time and will result in a cleaner system than if you try to bring your existing installation in line with the new Statler repositories. Apologies again if this causes any inconvenience, but in the long run, I hope it will be worth it.

Tagged with: crunchbang linux, debian, openbox

78 responses to “Updated CrunchBang Statler images”

• muzieca muzieca on,
    Nov 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

What a good news!!! Glad to know that Crunchbang is still alive and kickin’. :) Can’t wait to try the new Crunchbang image. Thank you.

• Nergal Nergal on,
    Nov 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I’m using #! for just some weeks but I’m loving it, just downloaded this new image and did a fresh install, it looks great!

Thank you for keeping #! alive and even better, great job from a single man!

• Wolfie Wolfie on,
    Nov 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I was getting a bit worried about #! as your sites hadn’t been updated in awhile, except Forums and I dont look at them very often, I am currently downloading now and am going to try very soon and do a fresh install.

I have previously tried the openbox version and it was fast but not as easy as the XFCE version, but I am going to give it a try and stick with it for a few months, really like what you are doing with #! please do keep up the good work and its nice to see updates on the main page!!

Wolfie

• llewton llewton on,
    Nov 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

good call on geany; good call on plymouth, i wondered why that was introduced. i at least like to see what’s happening at boot, especially if running testing, or introducing a new kernel, etc; sorry to hear about xfce, i thought you did a marvelous job of customizing it. to my mind it was the best xfce distro available, although i’m all about WMs myself. now, the DM. slim does makes more sense for a distro like crunchbang, but if you switch to debian testing, or more likely when users change their sources.list to point to testing, they may have trouble with consolekit/policykit without GDM/KDM.

• Wolfie Wolfie on,
    Nov 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Just got it installed and with dropbox the ram usage was 84meg…. very impressed, now just need to get to grips with Openbox and how to tinker :P again good work and thank you :D

• koleoptero koleoptero on,
    Nov 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

You won me over again. Installed and set as default at boot. I love it, I love the changes and agree with all of them except geany (really, it doesn’t fit that much with the whole snappiness of #!) but it’s already purged and replaced by leafpad, and in any case you can’t please everyone now, can you? I also love the move to firefox and you mirroring the updated packages, this is a great addition.

All in all you made my day today, and hopefully for many many days to come. Well done. :D

P.S. will seed the images.

• sunfizz98 sunfizz98 on,
    Nov 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I’m loving the new changes! Thanks for your hard work :-D

• omns omns on,
    Nov 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Nice work mate. It’s zipping along on my netbook:) I’ve been a fan of geany for quite a while now and the removal of Plymouth is a winner. I also like some of the extra script goodies in the menus, like the chrome install script. Very handy :)

• nathan w nathan w on,
    Nov 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

woot! thanksgiving presents galore, can’t wait to get home and reinstall a clean statler image. thank you for your excellent work. i’ve donated and am seeding the new image to help out as cb enters this exciting new stage, and i hope you know that the entire cb community is ecstatic to help promote the virtuous cycle of support and ongoing development :)

• TheShan_son TheShan_son on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Gah, I just did a fresh install like a week ago on both my work machines.

• Ted_Danson Ted_Danson on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Thanks for your effort corenominal. Installing asap. Removing currently seeded ISOs and adding new ones (click on my nick if you’re up for a ratio showdown :p)

• Marktech Marktech on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Many thanks as ever. Downloaded, seeding, and I’ll be updating tomorrow: something to look forward to!

• johnvile johnvile on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Yep My #! is fairly broken. A clean install will be ace. I cant wait.

• Zwopper Zwopper on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Glad to hear about this! Although (thanks to CrunchBang), I’ve come to like Chromium… For network shares I simply use PCManFM, it works like a charm with no extra tinkering. =) At the moment my PC’s either use CrunchBang or ArchBang, the latter because of it’s cutting/bleeding edge packages, sometimes it’s fun to live on the edge, and it has yet to break down on me. =D

Keep up the GREAT job Philip!

• Kuno Kuno on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Thanks from me also! Like ZWOPPER i use pcmanfm (0.9.10 meanwhile) for accessing network-shares. Although the latest thunar also has gvfs integrated and should do well without gigolo.

• merelyjim merelyjim on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Downloaded and seeding both editions!

Loaded the 32-bit version on my Acer netbook last night. Everything clicked along like a Swiss watch.

New installs are always fun. Thanks!!!

• uke-eda uke-eda on,
    Nov 27, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Best news for a very long time!!!

Thumbs up to all the changes. Won’t be long til this new image sits on my machine!

Excited too to her that Ceremonial works full time on his own projects! Gonna donate right now!

Thanks!!

• wb4bbc wb4bbc on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Thanks Core this is great news installing now !

• Pothi Pothi on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Looks like a perfect system for me. I appreciate you keeping up with this distribution. Can’t thank you enough for your hardwork and thousands of hours you spent on it.

• Anonymous Daniel Anonymous Daniel on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Great job on the new release. Installed it as soon as I returned from holiday travel. Keep up the good work.

• Produktywni Produktywni on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

That’s very good news! Thanks!

• Uchan Uchan on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Wow, finally a pure Openbox distro with the latest package, based on the great Debian :D Thanks a lot for this. Sure I’ll download and try it on my laptop.

In previous edition, Statler extend battery usage on my machine. Better power usage than Linux Mint LXDE 9 (lucid based).

About the browser, Chrome is awesome, but Firefox did the work well done on my machine.

• kaiomatico kaiomatico on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

AWESOME!

i thought the project was a little “half-dead” in the last months but you came back with another awesome bang!

thank you, still my favorite way of using my favorite distro as base :)

• BW BW on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Love to see updates to this fantastic distro. However, sad to see XFCE go. Personally I thought this was one of the best XFCE builds available, if not the best, by far the most stable of them all. Thanks for all the great work, this is truly a fantastic distro.

• SeZo SeZo on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Downloading… I would also echo the sentiment about loosing the XFCE version. Many thanks, for the fantastic distro.

• a #! fan a #! fan on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Just like kaiomatico, I thought #! was dead but surprise surprise it’s back for more BANG action! So you’ve decided to follow LM’s dev path (Clement Lefebvre) and live solely on donations. I admire your courage! Keep up the good work!!!

• Debianlove Debianlove on,
    Nov 28, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Thanks for the update man. Good moves.

• Ucraman Ucraman on,
    Nov 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

U are a genius, i recently installed this one on my netbook and BAMM it’s run like a thunder, keep on making this great version of linux.

Greetings..

• WoodCAT WoodCAT on,
    Nov 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

That’s a great news. After one year of being spoiled by Mint10, I’m ready go back to simplicity of !#.

Oh yea, I miss conky ;-)

• Jordan Reed Jordan Reed on,
    Nov 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I was surprised yet thrilled to see the crunch on distrowatch. My pentium 4 loves #!

• sohesado sohesado on,
    Nov 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I really like the only Openbox choice. Keep up the good work corenominal and thank you.

• ichi-no-eda ichi-no-eda on,
    Nov 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Superb distro! First choice for all my machines!

Many thanks!

• jargon jargon on,
    Nov 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Perfect timing! I’ve been thinking of reinstalling my netbook. Now I just need figure out how I can get the clean install without torrenting.

• TomG TomG on,
    Nov 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Although I’ve heard of Crunchbang before, this posting has me interested enough to take a look at it soon. I’ve been mostly a Linux Mint fan, but I do like to see what other inspirational ideas are out there… Philip, what are the differences between fluxbox and openbox? What makes you choose openbox over fluxbox?

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Nov 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@TomG, personal preference is all. I love Openbox :)

• schorem schorem on,
    Nov 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I needed to reinstall my system after a disappointing Fedora move. I do not like Gnome 3 and downloaded the images without realizing that there were any changes. I have to say: I am impressed, really love this system now.

Congrats on a sleek and great system.

• factotum218 factotum218 on,
    Nov 30, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Great to here! Codeignitor and Wordpress not doing it for you anymore?

• Jelloir Jelloir on,
    Nov 30, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Congrats on the release. All of the changes seem very logical and while other distro’s are in a bit of flap with the state of desktop environments, #! is serving up an elegant, simple, stable and enjoyable desktop. It’s refreshing to see intelligent decisions being made about what best serves the distribution and it’s user base. Great Stuff!

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Nov 30, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@factotum218, I am using CodeIgniter to build a new site for CrunchBang :)

• pbfup pbfup on,
    Dec 1, 2011 (about 2 years ago)
    ! is the most suriving linux distro on persistence usb…it worked hassle free for months….2 days back my #! xfce got crashed with a vlc end task…but great to hear this release news…..gonna try the openbox env for first time…firefox would be better cuz of flv download plugin,samfind,skipscreen,save img folder,fluschipranie and goes on……chrome is cool faster browsing…..

@Ucraman——sure #! is the greatest crash free easy stable fastest os for netbook…

Thanks a lot corenominal for making this release happened…. say #! and send my hugs to daisy….

lONG l!ve #!

• Wyrmskull Wyrmskull on,
    Dec 1, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

FAN-TAS-TIC, I’ll get the image as I’ll be at the office

• mxlmpr mxlmpr on,
    Dec 3, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Christmas is coming early! Thanks, this is so perfect right now.

• stanmarsh stanmarsh on,
    Dec 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

thank you mr. corenominal! i love #!! the best distro for me!

• domenico domenico on,
    Dec 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Thank you mr. corenominal! i love #!! I have a problem with autologin how to solve ?

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Dec 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@domenico, have you tried taking a look at /etc/slim.conf? I believe you want to be looking at:

# default user, leave blank or remove this line
    # for avoid pre-loading the username.
    default_user        domenico

# Focus the password field on start when default_user is set
    # Set to "yes" to enable this feature
    #focus_password      no

# Automatically login the default user (without entering
    # the password. Set to "yes" to enable this feature
    auto_login          yes

• domenico domenico on,
    Dec 4, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@ corenominal thank you so much, been resolved.

Is an awesome distro. Learned with gedit but Geany is ok …

Salutti!

• shum shum on,
    Dec 5, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Love #! !! Been using it on my netbook for quite awhile now and have finally decided to ditch OSX and go with #! on the desktop :-)

It appears that the install does not bring up the RAID device on the boot. Anyone else have this problem? Am using LVM on the SSD boot disk and LVM on a RAID 10 for my persistant data (/home, /usr/local, etc). The LVM on the boot volume comes up fine but the bootup fails on the 2nd LVM (because the RAID disk doesn’t exist — it doesn’t appear that mdadm is installed either).

Guess for now I’ll have to take a more circuitous route to the config I want. Love this distro regardless.

• vexis vexis on,
    Dec 6, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Awesome. Just awesome. no words.

• Marty Marty on,
    Dec 7, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I must fight the urge to upgrade…. #! has been so stable and easy to use I can’t believe there was even room for improvement. Great work!

• Damian Hellstrom Damian Hellstrom on,
    Dec 7, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@Corenominal.

Hail #!

• nitrofurano nitrofurano on,
    Dec 9, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

a question (besides the awesome news that Crunchbang is alive and kicking! ;) ): is this last version of Statler, from Debian repositories, based on Squeeze (6.x) or Wheezy (7.x)? - and if it’s based on Squeeze, and we want to upgrade to Wheezy, how can we do that without getting broken packages? or where from can we get good information about this?

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Dec 9, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@nitrofurano, it is based on Squeeze. There is no published upgrade path to Wheezy yet, this will probably happen when Waldorf starts taking shape.

• nitrofurano nitrofurano on,
    Dec 9, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

and btw, Wheezy as stable seems to be milestoned to June 2012 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history ) - will be this the same for Waldorf?

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Dec 9, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

@nitrofurano, possibly, but in truth, it will be ready when it is ready :)

• hinto hinto on,
    Dec 21, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I haven’t read corenominal ‘s thought process until now…. ;) I see where you’re coming from. I think you made great choices, esp since you’re including things you use daily. There’s a lot to be said about a “use-able” distro vs. a “flash-y” one. I’m glad you chose “use-able”, esp, since I use it everyday, too ;) -H

• navu navu on,
    Dec 25, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I am a passionate #! user, though I can just say I am not so enthusiastic about Iceweasel, and when I used Debian I always avoided it in a long circle - but this comment is purely personal. Nevertheless, hats off for the other decisions, #! is evolving!

However, I will stay with stable release until the next one.

Thank you for keeping #! up

• ZAP ZAP on,
    Dec 26, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

I only just noticed this post now, a month late. I guess that’s because I’ve been crazy busy with holiday season work and experimenting with GNOME Shell on my main system. GS is basically fine, I think, but I started getting nostalgic for #! and OpenBox and decided to check back here and see what was new.

I’ve used Statler XFCE quite a bit, but nevertheless I totally understand focusing on OpenBox. In fact, now that you’ve added Gigolo to the release, I doubt that I’d find any advantage to XFCE over OpenBox. And I also actually just dumped Gedit for Geany on my main machine, so this seems like a great default distro for me again.

I always install both Firefox and Chrome, so whichever one is installed by default makes no nevermind to me, and graphical boot splashes just bug me because they make me feel like I’m stuck watching a commercial before the program starts (or like there’s one more thing that I need to customize, even if I’ll only see it once a week).

I think that the only thing about this release that gives me pause is continuing to track stable. I realize that it’s not all that old right now, but I’ve been tracking unstable for weeks now with no problems, and personally I really like to have the latest software. But I suppose I’ll just strike out on my own after installation and see if anything breaks too badly, and if I lose things like themes that won’t make me all that sad.

Thanks again for all the effort you put into this!

• fury fury on,
    Dec 29, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Although I will not upgrade because my current system is OK after not too much tweaking, I’m happy to see that #! is evolving in a direction that I like: keeping it light, accepting that firefox has become not so sluggish compared to chromium. And also, I was pleasantly surprised to see geany was adopted ; I adopted this software just a few weeks ago for programming and like it very much (simple, powerful and flexible - a much better choice than gedit). However, I would love to see in #! a very lightweight default text editor (snappier than gedit/geany) that would act like Windows’s notepad (leafpad is nice but I wonder about the dependencies). Also I’m still tired of terminator’s slowness to start… using xterm by default now for snappiness, although I wish it had a bit more user comfort.

Thank you corenominal for keeping #! alive! Default OS for all my machines!

• Jendrik Jendrik on,
    Dec 30, 2011 (about 2 years ago)

Don’t know the proper place to report bugs, sorry. I just tried creating a bootable USB image in Ubuntu 10.10 and it fails at the very end telling me that “GNU/Linux is an invalid version string”.

• IgorP IgorP on,
    Jan 5, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

Long time no see.. And this look fantastic; minimal, functional, and upgradable. Big greetings from Zagreb!

• Tuan Tuan on,
    Jan 11, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

What is the glibc version of this distro? Thanks.

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Jan 12, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

@Tuan: GNU C Library (Debian EGLIBC 2.11.2-10) stable release version 2.11.2

• atheologian atheologian on,
    Jan 13, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

Freshly installed (aboot 2 minutes ago), with one hand, without mouse: 1 minute to set up, 2 minutes to install.

Everything you’ve changed is almost identical to what I changed in my ‘old’ Statler set-up.

Great work, Phil: this is truly a 21st Century operating system#!

• Theo Theo on,
    Jan 15, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

Finally got round to downloading the new iso’s - will leave them to seed on this computer whilst I burn them. Finally got round to booting up my malware infested desktop, and this will be the “other O/S” to install instead of Ubuntu’s unity.. can’t wait to get some proper horsepower out of the rig. Keep up the brill work, I just love the simplicity and accessibility of #! :)

• WarChilde WarChilde on,
    Jan 15, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

Wow, did not see this update, I will definitely be checking this release out. I’ve only ever used XFCE so this should be interesting to check out, also, thanks for the Opera option, been using Opera for many many years. Statler has been rock solid so this should be as well. Also, thanks for the LibreOffice option. What version of Thunar are you using?

Again, thanks for all your work on your distro, I used to use Ubuntu all the time, now !# is basically all I use now, linux-wise.

• Hias Hias on,
    Jan 19, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

Did someone just install from the new iso and than upgrade to wheezy/sid ?

In this case did the consolekit/policykit issue (no usb mount p.e.) occur ?

So generally I appreciate the decision to switch to Slim, but under these circumstances it’s no good choice for those who want to use testing/sid, because the consolekit/policykit issue is quite hard to fix.

So I’m waiting patiently for a Crunchbang/Wheezy version to appear.

Regards Hias

• groovydaddy groovydaddy on,
    Jan 25, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

I’ve been distro-hopping again… I think I was looking for something different that was simple and not so flashy; simply functional. In doing so, I went to Mint KDE and Ubuntu with Unity. Simple? Not flashy? Wow, did I miss the mark or what?! ;-) Anyway, I miss #! and the community. #! community has genuinely been the most helpful for me. Downloading new ISO image tonight.

• grndplane grndplane on,
    Jan 27, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

I installed last night, and it’s great. The first time I did not need to jump thru hoops to get the wireless working on my Dell Mini 9 netbook. Love the addition of Chrome install as that is usually the first thing I do, also the start up post installation script to install Java saved me a lot of time. I see VLC comes in this installation and is another program I always install. Geany looks cool and I don’t think I will miss Gedit. I tried Gigolo but it does not see my shares. I will have to screw around with the names until I get it. I also like the Tint2 restart on the Menu. So many improvements I could go on and on. Great Distro. Thanks for all the hard work.

• nerdCoreSteve nerdCoreSteve on,
    Jan 28, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

Just wanted to comment and tell you Crunchbang is absolutely my favorite Linux distro and I love the polish and attention to detail you give it! I’m really glad you’re still maintaining it and I hope you continue to do so. Thanks, Mr. Newborough!

• gnometech gnometech on,
    Jan 28, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

Crunchbang is my favorite linux distro I have it dual booting alongside Ubuntu 11.10 and its running perfectly on my eee pc 900 touchscreen. Also, I brought an old computer back from the dead running 248mb ram computer and its running fast with Crunchbang 10 :)

• clone clone on,
    Jan 31, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

i’d like to say that the previous crunchbang image has been very good for my pentium 4. after i upgraded the kernel to 2.6.36-2.dmz.5-liquorix-686 my usb wifi worked fine and crunchbang has been my main distro. (hopped between ubuntu and lmde before that).

however with the 20111125 image, i cannot boot the livecd. it got stuck at “waiitng for /dev to be fully populated”. i can still choose ‘graphical install’ but after installation, i boot and it gets stuck after grub at the same message. maybe my old hardware just keep up with the new kernel.

luckily that install was in a different partition. my old cb install still works beautifully so no harm done.

crunchbang has been a calm and stable experience for me.

• Ivan Galgoci Ivan Galgoci on,
    Jan 31, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

Just tried it for the first time - excellent distro, excellent work. I’am gonna stick with it, works great on my notebook. Also, I’am planning to write a review at http://www.linuxzasve.com to promote it in Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, and Slovenia (we all share the same language).

Anyway, keep up the good job.

Best regards.

• Sebastiaan Franken Sebastiaan Franken on,
    Feb 3, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

I used #! before and I loved it. So when I read the announcement that there was a new version I was delighted! I downloaded it and tried to install it alongside with Ubuntu 11.10 but sadly I failed.

It keeps installing and when it’s done I get to the “install packages, install bootloader..” menu and I can’t go any further then that.

Keep up the good work though

• corenominal corenominal on,
    Feb 3, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

@Sebastiaan, sorry to read you have had trouble with it. I am not sure I can debug with the details you have provided, but if you wish to provide any more information, I will be happy to take a look. :)

• Sebastiaan Franken Sebastiaan Franken on,
    Feb 5, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

@Corenominal

I would be happy to provide you with any details you want/need. I can email you if you want, or you can email me (you have my email from the comments) with any questions you have.

I would help you out making #! the best debian distro it can be.

• Ratul R. Minhaz Ratul R. Minhaz on,
    Feb 5, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

I just love #! You are doing a great job! Keep it up!

• Gabriel Gabriel on,
    Feb 6, 2012 (about 2 years ago)

#! is just great.. you keep it up..

• celesto celesto on,
    Jun 13, 2012 (about 1 year ago)

question on the way: does someone know a good backup tool for backing up data (data + programs + desktop settings etc?)